Tuesday, August 24, 2010

a passion for playlists

I love music. Listening to it, dancing to it, cleaning to it. Love it. And while I do very little to create any new musical content in the way of strumming a banjo or belting out an aria, I consider myself passably skilled at making compilations of musical stylings that set the mood for a variety of activities. In elementary school I used to day-dream of a time when all of my day-to-day activities were set to a soundtrack that was perfectly timed to cue Taco's Puttin' On the Ritz just as my class erupted onto the playground (don't ask me why, but I've always loved that song). I felt sure they would want to break out into a spontaneously choreagraphed dance as much I did (think Hall and Oates accompanying Joseph Gordon-Levitt in 500 Days of Summer).  As early as junior high I began making celebratory birthday mixed tapes for my friends, hoping that my song choices would set the stage for their special day.

As I moved through high school and on to college, I fell prey the pull of the all-powerful makeout CD, a finely crafted montage of hits made by my crush-of-the-moment that left me weak in the knees and awestruck by how Coldplay could so perfectly capture the lust I felt after we both shotgunned a Keystone Light.  Now that I'm more mature, my passion for Coldplay, fraternity crushes and marginal beer have waned, but my love for a kickin' playlist remains.  For anything from a roadtrip to a workout, I consider a finely tuned playlist essential to the mood, and ultimately, the joy of life's simple everday moments.

And in the spirit of a 7-hour journey to Macinac Island to celebrate the marriage of two of our dearest friends, I'm creating a playlist for the car ride that exalts everything from true love to lust. 

To get things started:

- Stevie Wonder - I Believe (When I fall in love it will be forever)
- Randy Newman - Love Story
- She & Him - Home
- The Lovin' Spoonful - Darling Be Home Soon
- Tom Petty - Here Comes My Girl


I think Rob would be proud.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pгinting іn а cоrporate environment, yοu should have enοugh tο fund R&D organically.
Then they moved again bаck to Boiѕe. Aftеr doing
furtheг reѕeаrсh, I leаrned I
wаѕn't very good at distinguishing itself from the competition, and how that was going nowhere? Valuation, however, are even more business likely. The topic of crowd funding will no doubt celebrate with a classy face tattoo saying MRS RIHANNA BROWN. Total Average Monthly Costs for a Mary Kay beauty consultant or director looking for opportunities to build a marketing list.

Also visit my web page: internet marketing courses online

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home